What is BEST for Kids?
BEST (Brunswick Early Success Team) for Kids is a partnership between Brunswick County Schools and community leaders and volunteers who are committed to helping all children become fluent readers by the end of the third grade.
By providing sound tutoring, consistency, and positive relationships with students, volunteers can know they are investing their time in a program that will make a difference in all areas of students' lives.
Children must learn to read before they can read to learn.
Did You Know?
- There are 26 letters, 44 sounds, and 200 ways to read and spell the sounds in the English Language.
- 86% of the words we use in the English language are decodable.
- The quicker we can close the skill deficiency gap, the better chance the child has to become a fluent reader!
- Skill deficiencies are different for every child.
- The only way to repair the deficiency is more time and intensity reinforcing that skill.
For more information about the BEST for Kids program, becoming a BEST for Kids volunteer, and upcoming training opportunities, contact Antonia Johnson at antjohnson@.